Arangka                         La Castellana

The town of La Castellana was officially born on January 1, 1918 when the Spanish government recognized it as a municipality which is separate and distinct from the township of Pontevedra, also known as Marayo. Since then, La Castellana went on to become a first-class municipality with a population of 71,013 people in 14,111 households according to a 2010 Census.

It was not exactly known when was the town discovered but according to popular belief, which was handed down for many generations, the town was discovered by the people of Marayo. The early settlers then called the town “Lapak” and for a time, it was under the jurisdiction of Marayo or what is now known as Pontevedra. There is no historical document supporting the popular belief except that it was transferred by word of mouth from the early settlers to the next generation.

According to this generational story, the early settlers of Marayo made their way inland in search for food to supplement the subsistence they get from the coasts. They cut their way through dense vegetation and forests and eventually reached a place abounding with fruits, edible plants and game food. Most of the people coming from Marayo settled there and started calling the village “Lapak.” It stayed that way for a long time until the Spanish people arrived.

During the Spanish conquest of the Philippines, the newcomers took time to explore various areas. In the huge island of Buglas, the Spaniards were welcomed in different places by Aetas who were the original settlers during that time. They were so many that the Spanish contingent started referring to Buglas island as the place of Negros and Negritos. Soon, the name stuck. The Spanish love for exploration took some members of the contingent to the village of Lapak. They were so enthralled with how the place resembled the topography and vegetation of a spot in Spain that they named it after that place – Paseo de La Castellana, which is situated in Madrid.

Eventually, more Spaniards arrived and started developing the place by having vast areas cleared by the natives. The newcomers established large haciendas which owned large swathes of sugarcane plantation. Due to the high availability of work, natives and other nationalities flocked to the place and soon, the place became a major center of commerce and trade. A local government was later established and finally, on January 1, 1918, the town of La Castellana was born.

Hon. Rhumyla G. Nicor-MangilimutanMayor - Municipality of La Castellana

Municipality of La Castellana

La Carlota-La Castellana Road

La Castellana Negros Occidental 6131

Email: @lacastellana-negocc.gov.ph

Phone: +63 (34) 485 8888

Fax: +63 (34) 485 7777

Website Visits

7842
TodayToday36
YesterdayYesterday41
This_WeekThis_Week36
This_MonthThis_Month380
All_DaysAll_Days7842

Flicker Feed